Monday, September 14, 2009

My Hero Whose Name is George

Facebook has been great for connecting with people that you have not been in touch with for years but what about people you didn't know personally but taught you so much? What does it really mean to friend someone on Facebook? Becoming a friend of George's has reminded me of how we are all so connected in so many different ways.

George has been in my life as long as I can remember. Although we've never formally met, he has influenced me in many ways. He helped me understand basketball by explaining the rules. He taught me history and how to stand up and support your side of the argument. I get to listen to him and Ric Tyler when I drive from Maine and always enjoy their banter. He taught me the importance of good sportsmanship and fairness.

I remember watching him on TV (little did I know that many years later we would connect again on facebook). Basketball is big in Maine and there was George at tournament time. He was a familar face and voice. He recently was inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame along with my cousin, Jon who played basketball for Stearns. It is astounding to me that someone whom I never met has been such an influence.

So why is he my hero? He greets the day with a positive attitude. He may be the busiest person I know. He lives his life like there is no tomorrow and has a great sense of humor. So thank you GH for the life lessons. Who is your hero?

No comments:

Post a Comment