Sunday, September 20, 2009

The World has Become One Enormous Chatroom

I recall my first computer, a Mac, that I bought back in the 90s. After hooking it up to the internet, dial up of course, I then 'surfed' the internet to find out what was out there. Wow, what a world! I could visit NASA, the Smithsonian and the White House. I was old enough to be in awe and young enough to want to learn everything about the 'web'.

One night while I was searching and surfing, I came upon a chat room. This was a place where people from all over the world could 'talk'/type to each other. At first it seemed awkward then gave way to a new normalcy that comes with familiarity.

In one of these chat rooms I 'met' a guy who worked for a well known government periodical. No names please but he really did exisit and he really was who he said he was. We bored of the chat we were in and off we went to another that someone suggested called Alamak.

In Alamak there were different chat rooms by category and a dungeon for those who found fun in typing foul language over and over. People misbehaved, ran off with someone else's spouses, imagined the person at the other end of the computer connection looked like Brad Pitt when really they may have resembled the hunchback of Notre Dame. It was the wild west, so to speak with no rules and a bunch of numskulls with little common sense.

On the positive side, I met did 'meet' a lot of wonderful people. There were meet ups in each town, much like Tweet ups that occur now. There are at least 6 people from Toronto, Chicago, Switzerland and Virginia that I still consider friends.

The web has changed, for the good, I think and now there is Twitter and facebook that seem to bring our families and friends together. You can advertise your business, become a fan or tweet with your favorite newsperson or singer.

We're all more connected virtually in a way that has never been seen before. We have 24 news that we can be a part of by becoming an iReporter for CNN, texting the network or taking a picture with our cell phones to show the rests of the world what is happening. It's as if the world has morphed into one enormous chatroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment