Saturday, October 31, 2009

Slaughter House Closed

Slaughter house in Grand Isle is closed due to inhuman treatment of animals. This is the teaser I heard on the news last night. Yes, I watched the news clip, well, listened to it with my eyes closed. I grew up on a farm and know what happens to animals when they are killed for food. The process is never pretty and it made me wonder what is humane when you are about to slaughter a young calf? What is humane when you kill a steer for a tasty steak?

I do not have an answer to these questions but I am sure there are guidelines that spell out how to slaughter humanely. The definition of slaughter is to butcher and kill animals, usually for food. I can not wrap my mind around the words humanely and slaughter being discussed in the same sentence. Your thoughts?

Boston Globe Article
http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2009/10/30/vt_ag_agency_shuts_down_grand_isle_slaughterhouse/

No comments:

Post a Comment