Saturday, November 21, 2009

It's All About the Food

This week brought warm weather in November, birthdays to celebrate and plans being made for the holidays. As my friends know, I do not actually like to celebrate holidays. It's not that I have bad memories or anything. I'm just not a fan.

I like Thanksgiving because I get to spend it with family. Christmas? Not so much. The indulgence, waste and true meaning of Christmas is often lost in the hoopla, hullabaloo and Black Friday. You will get to stand inside of the big box store this year so that when you get trampled in the lust for things, you will at least be warm.

It's not that I do not like Christmas at all. I like it when family comes to visit but for me, again, it's all about the food and fun. I don't really care if I get a gift. Playing Trivial Pursuit and going to The Essex is enough for me.

One of my aunts was big on taking people to lunch. She did it when I lived with her in Iowa and made it a special day for just the two of us.

When I go to visit in Maine food is the topic of the day. Where are we going to eat? This is often heard as we are finishing breakfast at our favorite restaurant.

So, I am going to make up a new holiday. "It's all about the food day". I'm not sure which month it will be in so I am opened to suggestions. Hallmark will get right on it, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment