Sunday, January 3, 2010

Mittens

2009 was the year that my aunt discovered that her nieces love, love, LOVE homemade mittens.

My cousin came over with some pecan pie (yum) and picked out some homemade mittens that my aunt had knitted for another cousin's charity (a whole other story) and she spotted two pair of mittens that were adult size. One pair, a pretty yellow and another a sort of light cranberry. I love the colors pink and purple and as my cousin tried on both pair attempting to choose one, I hoped she would pick the yellow because I wanted the pinkish ones! I held my breath and waited as she held up one pair and then another and FINALLY she picked the yellow. YES! I asked if I could have the pink and of course my auntie said yes, of course.

Then she said, "I didn't know you both liked home made mittens. My cousin and I looked at each other and said, "Yes, we do". She remembered many a Christmas past when they were allowed to open up one gift and always opened the present that they knew contained a fresh pair of homemade mittens.

Then my other cousin posted "I like RED mittens" on Facebook. Lo and behold, a pair arrived for her shortly after that.

What is there about homemade mittens that are knitted by a person and not a machine? They feel warmer, they look prettier and you know they were knit stitch by stitch by someone who cared enough to take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment